Sunday past in Pairc Esler, saw the Senior Footballers eventually playing their last competitive game of the year in the Senior League Final against our neighbours and County Champions winners Kilcoo. Having played our last competitive game some ten weeks ago, it was always going to be a tough ask and perhaps if a couple of decisions had went our way, who knows? In one sense Kilcoo had played a lot of games in Ulster and perhaps that went against them in that competition but in another way in this competition it worked for them. Competitive football – you cannot beat it. Kilcoo were out of the blocks quickly and were five up without reply before we got on the scorte sheet. Perhaps with this start and our rustiness plus their experience in finals told in the end. That said there was grit and patience in the Castlewellan performance. the lads certainly did not panic being so far behind. Perhaps Kilcoo’s defensive formation in the second half was a compliment to the threat we posed. We had goaling chances which we did not take and perhaps execution of those may have been game changers. Anyway the result doesn’t change and congratulations to Kilcoo who came out winners 1-12 to 1-8. Well done and congratulations to Shorty and his backroom team on the season the lads have had. True we have won nothing but we have shown that we have potential and are moving in the right direction.
*The AGM took place on Thursday night past, and the officers elected were as follows; Chairman Kevin Sweeney, vice-chairman Francie Mc Alinden, Secretary Brian Dougherty, assistant secretary Terence Connolly, Treasurer Brian O’ Neill, assistant treasurer Cillian Keavney, PRO Martin Mc Clean. Rory Mc Cabe stepped down as Chairman after serving for three years, we would like to take this opportunity to thank Rory for his hard work during that time, and are grateful that he is staying on, to serve on committee.
*This Saturday sees the final of Castlewellan Does Strictly Come Dancing and again a fabulous night’s entertainment is anticipated! In the final are Conall Corrigan & Megan Clarke, Niall Duffy & Chelsea McVeigh, Gavin Burns & Oónagh Rice, Rory McAlinden & Michelle Doran, Jason Croskery & Clare Cleland, Paul Mc Ardle & Orla Boyle. Busloads of fanatical supporters from Annsborough, Liatroim and Monaghan are expected and are again hoping to be in full voice. The show will start at 8.00pm sharp with the doors opening at 7.00pm. Seating is not reserved and if you want your seat – get in early and avoid disappointment. Tickets are currently on sale; keep an eye on our Facebook page and the club’s website at www.castlewellangac.com for details. Also check the website for photos of this year’s Strictly Competition semi-finals.
* Mrs Brown is back in a new storyline on Friday 20 and Saturday 21 December. Like the strictly tickets, they are going like the proverbial hot cakes, as this show is going to be an absolute cracker! Again, there is no reserved seating so its first come first served. Please note Saturday 21 December 2013 is now sold out!
* The juvenile presentation night will be on Friday 13 December 2013 in the Club.
* There is a list of Coaching Development course on the website. Anyone wishing to attend a course please contact John O’Neill on 07711737610.
The winter fun coaching programme for boys and girls is continuing in the main gym in St Malachy’s HS Castlewellan on Wednesday and run for six consecutive Wednesday nights. Next Wednesday December 11th., will be the last session. The session will be one hour long: P1 to P4 inclusive will take place from 6pm to 7pm. P5 to P7 inclusive plus 1st years who are U12 will take place from 7pm to 8pm.
* The weekly Castlewellan AC weekly runs continue every Tuesday and Thursday leaving the Club at 7.00pm.
* The numbers in this week’s lotto were 12, 21, 22 & 25. There were no jackpot and one £20 winners this week; C Kennedy. Next week’s Jackpot is £5250.