Cumann Lúthchleas Gael are committed as part of their overall philosophy to ‘Discourage the use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco on the basis that they are incompatible with a healthy approach to sporting activity’
Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin believe that we need to work towards creating a safe, healthy club environment where we can develop the skills and attitudes necessary to cope with drug and alcohol related issues.
All club members, officials, coaches and volunteers as part of this club shall follow the law when it comes to illegal drugs, alcohol and tobacco and shall display leadership and good example, particularly when dealing with underage members. This policy shall apply to all users of the club buildings and grounds.
Definition of Drugs:
For the purpose of this policy the term “drug” shall include all mood altering substances, both legal and illegal and involve substances such as:
· “Over the counter” medicines such as paracetamol, anti-histamines, cough medicines
· Prescribed drugs such as antibiotics, inhalers, painkillers etc.
· Volatile substances such as aerosols, glues, petrol, cigarette lighter fuels etc.
· Products and substances sold online and in “headshops” that cause intoxication.
· Controlled drugs such as cannabis, ecstasy, amphetamines, magic mushrooms,
· Performance enhancing sports related drugs as outlined by the World Anti-Doping
Aims and Objectives:
The aim of this policy is to ensure that all club members are kept safe from drug-related harm when involved in club activities.
Our objectives are…
· To develop a consistent approach to drug-related issues to be adopted by all club
· To develop procedures and protocols that address drug-related issues in the club.
· To establish clear procedures for managing specific incidents of suspected drug
List of Actions
The Chairperson and Executive of the club shall adopt and discharge actions from the following list as appropriate to the resources of the Club.
Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin shall take the following actions…
· The cup shall not be filled with alcohol during celebrations.
· Coaches and Club Officials shall not smoke or drink alcohol while representing their
club at matches or training sessions.
· Club members, officials, coaches and volunteers shall not present themselves at club
activities while under the influence of any drug.
· Cigarettes shall not be sold in the clubhouse.
· Medal ceremonies shall not be held in pubs.
· Under 18’s shall not be brought to pubs on the way home from matches, outings or
· Alcohol shall not be served at functions for players aged under 18 years of age.
· Alcohol advertisements shall be phased out on club jerseys.
· Alcohol shall not be permitted in club changing rooms.
All persons associated with our club can help prevent drug-related harm from occurring during club activities.
The following roles are recommended.
· Will be aware of the details of and adhere to Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Parents and Guardians
· Support the club in the development and implementation of this policy including procedures for
handling incidents of suspected drug misuse.
· Will be aware of the possibility of drug misuse among players and work with the A.S.A.P. Club Officer, Club Chairman and Executives with the aim of preventing harm.
A.S.A.P. Club Officer
· The A.S.A.P. Club Officer is responsible for overseeing the development, implementation and
evaluation of this policy in conjunction with the Club Chairperson and Executive.
· The A.S.A.P. Club Officer shall have good knowledge of the local drug, alcohol and health promotion services in order to assist the club in organising prevention, education and response activities as such needs arise.
· The A.S.A.P. Club Officer is Liam Sloan Phone no. 028437 78561
Club Chairperson and Executive
All relevant information, paraphernalia or suspected substances found or received shall be forwarded to the Club Chairperson who shall consult with the necessary parties before taking relevant action based upon this policy. In the event of the Chairperson not being available to discharge these duties this responsibility will then automatically fall to the Vice Chairperson or Secretary.
Education programme about drugs and alcohol
Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin shall arrange for a drug education programme for members, players, parents etc as appropriate. This drug education programme may include the promotion of club policy, provision of literature, workshops or information sessions.
· The Club A.S.A.P. Officer in conjunction with the Club Chairperson and Executive shall make arrangements with local drug, alcohol or health promotion services to provide drug education annually for adults associated with the club.
· The Club A.S.A.P. Officer in conjunction with the Club Chairperson and Executive shall make arrangements with local drug, alcohol or health promotion services to provide age appropriate drug education annually for young people associated with the club.
Protocol for dealing with drug misuse
Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin shall endeavour to respond to all drug-related incidents in a firm but fair manner, with due respect for the safety and welfare of individuals involved, other members of the club and the wider community and shall also fulfil any legal obligations that might apply.
Outline of Restrictions
The misuse or supply of drugs is viewed as unacceptable by Naomh Maolmhoig Caislean A Mhuilinn CLG An Duin and is punishable by warnings, suspensions and expulsions as deemed appropriate. It is also unacceptable for members or officials to present themselves for club duties while under the influence of a drug.
Reporting of Incidents
Alleged or confirmed incidents in breach of this policy shall be referred to the Club Chairperson.
Recording of Information
Information regarding alleged or confirmed incidents in breach of this policy shall be recorded in writing. The recording of factual information is preferable and all opinions shall be stated as such. Responses to cases shall also be recorded in this way. Only in confirmed cases shall names of individuals be recorded.
While it is not possible to guarantee, every effort shall be made to respect confidentiality.
Incidents involving any person under 18 years of age will require their parents/guardians to be informed. Parents/guardians shall be invited to discuss what has happened and shall be informed of any course of action to be taken by the club. The Club Chairperson shall nominate a person to inform parents/guardians in each case.
Garda Síochána/PSNI Involvement
Incidents that involve the illegal supply of drugs shall require Garda Síochána/PSNI involvement. In all other drug-related incidents, each case shall be considered on an individual basis and the decision shall rest with the Club Chairperson as to whether or not the Garda Síochána/PSNI are involved.
The Club Chairperson retains the right to direct a search of any part of club property if there is reasonable cause to believe a substance in breach of this policy is contained therein. Two officials of the club shall conduct the search. Club Officials are not allowed to search an individual or their personal property. Where there is reasonable cause to believe a person has in their possession a substance in breach of this policy, they shall be asked to volunteer the substance. If they refuse, the Garda Síochána/PSNI may be called in to conduct a search.
Disposing of suspected illegal substances
If a suspected illegal substance is found on club property it shall be brought to the attention of the Club Chairperson. The substance shall be stored securely and the Club Chairperson shall then decide whether the Garda Síochána/PSNI should be called to collect it, or whether it should be disposed of. Any disposal of suspected illegal substances shall be recorded and witnessed by two officials. At no time shall a suspected illegal substance be removed from club property without the knowledge of the Garda Síochána/PSNI.
Availability, use and storage of solvents and gases
Many solvent based products have the potential to be abused (e.g. deodorants, paints, thinners, cleaning fluids etc). All solvent based materials and gases shall be stored securely and safely away from public access.
Monitoring and Evaluation
This policy is in force at all times and during all activities conducted under the aegis of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael. This policy shall be evaluated annually and after every drug-related incident. This policy shall come into effect on 25-11-10 and shall be reviewed annually thereafter by the A.S.A.P. Club Officer in conjunction with the Club Chairperson and Executive.
Signed ______________________ Signed __________________
(Club Chairperson) (A.S.A.P. Club Officer)
Date _______\________\______ Date ______\______\_____